Sunday, August 22, 2010

"Great white commander"

The story continues in my Grandpa’s words… I’m not sure that the order in which he tells the stories is chronological (maybe someday I’ll figure it out and tell his stories in order), but for now it really doesn't matter. They are true, and lessons of faith that can be applied today are found within.

The tsetse fly was prominent in that area, which gave the horses sleeping sickness. Therefore, it was only through the governor that the natives in that territory of Kursiri would give me a horse. I walked the horse to the edge of the swamp and took my shoes and stockings off, planning to go across, hoping that the horse would follow. But, instead, the horse gave a jerk with his head and knocked the bridle off. This resulted in another runaway horse. I ended up with five days of walking through the swamp bare footed most of the time, because I had only one pair of shoes at that time. On the fifth day I reached Maroua in Cameroun [now spelled Cameroon]. I had never before cared much for dog barking, but now this was a welcome sound, for it meant that a village was near.

My carrier men were hot and thirsty so I sent them into the village with a message telling the people that there was a man near there who was exhausted and thirsty and that they should bring a horse to him. These men greatly loved an opportunity to exaggerate, therefore, they were glad to relay my message. When they arrived, they told the other natives that there was a great white commander in the territory who was dying from thirst and exhaustion. (They were responsible for any white person in their territory.) As a result, the message got through and I am sure that the exaggeration served its purpose.

It makes me smile to read how God allowed that exaggeration to bring speedy help to my Grandpa. I can’t fathom trudging through an African swamp for five days - and with bare feet. Yet Grandpa was never alone. God supplied “carriers” to assist him and renewed his strength each day so that he could arrive at his destination. I can only imagine Grandpa retelling these stories some day in heaven, with friends and family (from Norway, Cameroon, Chad, the U.S., and who knows where else!) gathered around him . His joy on that day will far outweigh the pain and frustration felt while living these stories on earth.

God, I don't want (and am not asking for) pain and frustration so that I can experience incredible joy some day. But I am asking for grace to follow you. Wherever you take me, or whatever uncomfortable experiences may be allowed to come my way, please help me to be faithful to you – the one who loves me perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment