Thursday, September 23, 2010

How to die (part 4 of 4)

The last lesson Dad taught me concludes with this post... It was written in 2003, not long after Dad went home.

When I looked at the body of my Dad lying in the nursing home bed and realized, so quickly and certainly, that he was no longer in that body, I felt lonely, and the mourning began. But strangely, with the tears and sorrow, and the dull ache that was spreading through my soul as I began missing the dad of my life, another emotion was about to emerge – one I hadn’t fully expected.

After Mom, my sisters, and I hugged and cried for awhile, a nurse knocked on the door and peeked in. We told her that he had gone and she cried and hugged us. She said she could tell he was a wonderful man and she was so sorry for our loss, but was glad he didn’t have to suffer any more. While the funeral home was being called to come and take Dad’s body, we gathered his personal items together, and I seized this opportunity to make a visit to the ladies room.

When I closed the door and had a moment alone, it suddenly hit me. Dad was home! He was with His Savior. He had crossed over into eternity right before our eyes. He had run the race, fought the good fight, and won. “You did it Dad!” I cried. I was suddenly smiling, and tears of joy were streaming down my face, mingling with the tears of sorrow from moments earlier. “You did it! You’re home!” I said over and over as the reality of his triumph sunk in. It was indescribable joy.

July 13, 2003 was my Dad’s – Harold Revne’s – last day on this earth. It was exactly two weeks from the day he, Mom and I prayed in their living room that he would go. Only two weeks…the miracle had happened.

July 13, 2003 was also Dad’s first day face to face with his Savior. Suddenly eternity and heaven seemed amazingly close, and extremely welcoming.

My Dad taught me a lot throughout his life, but his last lesson was the greatest one of all. He taught me how to die. What lesson is more important? Since the Garden of Eden, we are all sentenced to die. On the very day we were born our bodies began their countdown to death. Death is the most certain event of our life, yet how many of us truly prepare for it?

Dad taught me that there’s only one way to prepare for eternity. You must accept the sacrifice of Jesus’ death on the cross. Getting that right is the most important thing in life. If you don’t get it right, you may very well “gain the whole world, but lose your soul.” Preparing correctly for eternity isn’t tricky, and no one is excluded from the offer of God’s grace, but ignoring it or thinking you are above needing it is both common and, frankly, scary. Dad taught me that there is absolute truth, and he taught me to find it in God’s word.

As I watched Dad pass to the other side of eternity, it was confirmed to me that the message my faith is clinging to is true. It is truth from an almighty and loving God, and not simply a human concoction. Dad’s peace during those last moments, when he could no longer respond to us, but clearly heard us, is something I will never forget. I know I will remember it when it is my time to cross over, and it will ease my fear. Death is ugly. In fact, I don’t think there could be much, if anything, worse than the physical dying process of a body. It’s Satan’s last hurrah. It is the final horrid outcome of sin for mortal beings. But Dad did not die alone. He died in the presence of, and with the help of, his Savior who knew exactly what he was going through – and comforted, and helped him. And Dad did not stay dead. His soul was immediately with the Savior he trusted, in heaven. He left his dying body, with the promise of a new, eternal one, in an eternal place.

Since we are all sentenced to die, is any lesson greater than learning how? Is any preparation more important? Thank you, Dad. Thank you, God.

So it’s now seven years later... I’m seven years older and closer to my own death (although I hope it’s a long time from now!). I am comforted even now by what was impressed on my heart when Dad died. When things get rough, and they will, and at the seemingly very worst of life – I know that I will not be alone. The Savior I am trusting will carry me through and bring me home. Where the best part of my life will begin and never end…

No comments:

Post a Comment