Sunday, October 17, 2010

Engagement ring sacrifice

This is the second of two posts my Grandpa titled “The Beginning of the Sudan Mission,” written about the years before he and my Grandma left for Africa (which they did in 1918).
At the next annual meeting of the Lutheran Brethren in Grand Forks, the interest in the mission had increased and the delegates decided to spread information about the mission, and work up interest among the people. I was called to travel in the interest of the mission, at which time I had much encouragement and many happy experiences.

At that time, the interest of the Lutheran Brethren Schools Foreign Bible Mission Society was very high and encouraging. Many of the students gave all that they could and sometimes even more than they were able to. One pastor in particular contributed considerably to the Bible School China Mission Society. When the offering was taken, he never gave less than $100. I visited his church one time and his wife, in her original way, placed a bill, larger than ordinarily given in the offering, under my dinner plate, and I knew that it was a contribution to the mission.

I had many such encouragements during my traveling for the mission, and before the next annual meeting, enough money had come in for the mission to send my wife and I to Africa. When we gathered for the following annual meeting, everyone realized that this was from the Lord and it was decided that the Lutheran Brethren should take up a mission in Africa, which for many years was called the Sudan Mission.

My wife and I at that time had joined the 59th Street Church in Brooklyn. These years of depression were hard times, even in New York and Brooklyn, but the people were much interested, and gave liberally to the mission – especially the girls working in the city. (This was because at that time there was very little work to be had, for the man to make money.)

Three years ago when we visited Norway [most likely in 1959], I heard about a couple whose interest in the mission back then had been so great that even when they were engaged to be married they gave up the buying of an engagement ring and gave that money to the mission. Even today, many are giving freely to the cause...

I am inspired by the Norwegian couple’s passion, yet it's clearly not the typical variety of passion - at least not the kind that's found in a romantic flick. It was their great interest in the African mission that led them to make a sacrifice of love toward a cause they believed in. How romantic is that?! In this age of big weddings, who would ever consider foregoing an engagement ring? Yet does anyone doubt that this sacrifice brought the couple great joy? And likely many blessings besides?

As I think about traveling to Africa in late January, I can’t help but remember a prayer from my youth: “Please God, don’t send me to Africa!” Seriously, with missions in my family history, I feared this... I loved God and wanted to please Him, but I really did not want Him to want me in Africa!

My high school girlfriends have reminded me of this prayer, with a smile, as they see my excitement for the upcoming trip. Granted, I’m only going for a couple of weeks, but nevertheless, I’m using every drop of vacation time to do so – and I can’t wait! While I don’t think this necessarily qualifies as a sacrifice, I do know it is now a great interest, which is bringing me much joy to explore, and to seek God’s will regarding...

Whoever is reading this – please allow me to ask, with kindness: What is your passion? Is there a great interest in your heart? And, have you considered this interest might be a God thing? He may be calling you to some work or sacrifice which will bring you great joy – and blessing to you and others, as well. I encourage you to explore, and seek God’s will regarding it!

No comments:

Post a Comment