Monday, July 23, 2012

Jericho prayer walks

Lately I’ve been involved in some warfare of the spiritual kind.  I feel like I don’t often know who my "enemies" are, yet I do know there’s an unseen world where battles for hearts are raging.  If I want my life story to count for the Lord’s glory, then I cannot shrink from battle.

So one tactic a friend and I have been using this spring and summer was inspired by the Biblical story of Joshua and the battle of Jericho…  My friend and I have been practicing what we call: Jericho prayer walks.
Whenever we can – usually once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less – she and I march around our "walls" and pray them down in Jesus’ name.  Now if you’re not a follower of Christ, this may seem odd to you; I understand, and assure you we’re really not weird. J  And if you are a follower of Christ, it may also seem a bit extreme to you, but I don’t think it should…  Because let me tell you: there are "walls," there are "enemies" behind them, and there is victory for all who believe and “march” and pray in faith in Jesus’ name!  We’ve experienced this...
So what does a Jericho prayer walk – our version – look like?  Well, I live a mile from downtown, so my friend comes to my house and we walk the mile downtown.  First, we chat and catch up on our lives and what the Lord’s been doing.  Usually that’s the first half-mile or so…  Then we take turns praying, inviting the Spirit of Jesus to guide our prayers.  Well, before we know it we’re downtown, where we have coffee or an iced tea at the local coffee shop, sometimes with food, and continue our catching up as friends.  And then we start the walk home – usually a mile full of praise and requests and heart “battle cries,” if you will.
By the time we get back to my house we’re so full of God’s peace and presence that I think we are both glowing.  A sweat enhanced glow, perhaps...
Okay, so the bottom line that I believe is intended for anyone who reads this is: do you have faith in the one true God?  And if you do: do you take Him at His Word?  You might want to consider gathering with a fellow follower of Christ, and pray down some walls in your individual lives.  You never know, until you try something like this in faith, what it might please Him to do.
And, for the record, these walks are not about our faithfulness (mine is flawed) - or about the glory of this particular tactic.  They are about the glory of our Heavenly Father, and the power we have through Jesus Christ and His Spirit working in us.  They are about His faithfulness and His desire to be in a relationship with us.  They are about His working beyond what we could even ask or think...  Praise Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment