Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Love me and Jesus?

Perhaps there is no neutral ground.  As people get to know me they will either love me and love Jesus who is in me, or they will begin to despise me and Jesus.  If they are attracted to me they are consciously or sub-consciously attracted to the Jesus in me, for one cannot be separated from the other.  But if they are not being drawn to Christ, the more they get to know me, the more I will begin to repel them, simply by the aroma of Jesus in me.  (2 Cor. 2:16)

Which way things are headed will be most evident during difficult or cranky times, and can be almost undecipherable during glorious and lovely times.  Even relaters headed toward despising can have the ability to act lovingly if I do something wrong, for in that moment they can feel better about themselves in the presence of my fault.  But when the light of truth exposes their own wrongdoing, look out – they will become angry, and will likely lash out.
In terms of romantic attraction and love, when a man encounters me, there can be genuine attraction, but that attraction may be incapable, if not unwilling, to truly know and love me.  He doesn’t need to know me – what he sees on the surface is good enough – why mess with intimacy or authentic love?
I’ve learned there is a reason to walk away from me, beyond finding flaws with my personality, behaviors and appearance, even though such flaws are there.  One can leave me – physically and/or emotionally – because one has an issue with God.

Even with a generous amount of mutual connection going on, there is a bigger decision that must ultimately be made as you get to know me: will you love me and Jesus?

2 comments:

  1. A man, especially a Christian man can and does make an attempt to truely know and love a woman.

    Sadly, alot of good Christian men are "never good enough", therefore they pull away, quit dating or trying and spend their days alone until they are called home.

    Now it's time to watch the leaves turn into their autumn colors in the autumn of days to await the moment when the color is gone and the unset of winter has arrived.

    Our life is like the color of the leaves and it runs it's final cycle and even the great oaks, like men and their hearts, fail and fall unnoticed and silently in the forest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=316371831833515&set=vb.146353945526533&type=2&theater

    Sweet, but heartbreaking song called "Sweet Lorraine" by a 96 year old man who wrote a love song about his wife he lost after 75 years of marriage. It reminds me of my 103 year old great-uncle who was in tears in reminescing his marriage to my great aunt and how they met at a barn dance in Nebraska.

    Don't under estimate the hearts of men.

    ReplyDelete