Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Rest site found

The last post about Grandpa described a failed attempt to find a vacation site for a missionary rest home... This post describes another try some years later. This is the final post from Grandpa’s document…
Another attempt to find a vacation place for a missionary rest home was done a number of years later. This time we followed the new all-season road from Garoua to Mokolo which goes through Dourbeye and Mogode. From Dourbeye we made a short trip up to Domo mountain. The climate there is excellent and would be a fine location for a missionary rest place, but the road from Dourbeye to Domo is very difficult. We chose a place on Domo mountain and decided to keep it if we did not find any better place on this road.

Reaching Mogode, we, without hesitation, decided on this place as the vacation site location for two reasons: 1) The climate was very good. 2) Mogode is a city with a very large population which would be good for a mission station. As a result we have a mission station as well as a missionary vacation place at Mogode.

The people at Mogode were, to begin with, hard to win for Christ, but in recent years it has changed for the better. We pray and believe that many shall be gathered into the kingdom of God even from Mogode; and that a missionary’s rest home will be very profitable for our missionaries.

Grandpa had an evangelistic heart. Wherever he was, he wanted people to know Christ…to experience the saving power of God’s grace – the power which transforms lives from the bondage of sin to the freedom that’s in Christ Jesus. That is so clear to me from this document, which I finally got to read, and have shared most of it with you here, more than 40 years after he dictated it.

The more I’ve learned about Grandpa and Grandma and their lives as pioneer missionaries in Africa, the more I’m impressed by all they accomplished, with God’s gracious blessing. Frankly, I can get a bit tired just reading about their work and adventures. So it’s significant to me that this final entry is about finding and building a place of rest. It tells me that Grandpa recognized the place for rest in our lives. He was well aware of physical limits (although reading some of his stories, I wondered!) and wanted missionaries – current and future – to have a place of comfort, to refresh and recharge.

I’ve been thinking a lot about my busy life lately, and asking God if I’m spending my time on the right things. I know He will show me... One recent Sunday I spent half a day with Him – doing nothing but praying, reading His word, thinking, listening… It was transformational in a non-transformational way. I didn’t look different after that half-day (at least I don't think so). I didn’t get any course-changing message that would revolutionize my life. But I did rest and chat with my Lord, and it was sweet. Why don't I do that more often?

Grandpa’s last dictated words were that “a missionary’s rest home will be very profitable for our missionaries.” Then, some time not long afterwards, God took him home. Grandpa is now receiving the best rest of all, and the reward for living a life of meaning.

There are more stories to come…in future posts, from the perspective of Grandpa and Grandma’s son, my Dad (who died in 2003). And to those who are finding their way here, I pray that God is encouraging you, and calling you to know and serve Him in new or expanded ways. It’s an honor to share these, and some of my own, stories with you.
Always,
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment