Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What late snows?

It’s April 19 and it’s snowing outside. I want spring to be here so badly I could spit. Yet, I looked out my bedroom window a few minutes ago, and actually smiled - broadly. I smiled because I know that winter is about to end. Its demise is surely just around the corner, and that certainty makes me happy.

Even though right now winter is trying to taunt me... It’s trying to tell me that spring is not coming – that winter will never end. But I know it’s wrong. It’s lying. Because winter will end, and spring will come – and it will be soon.

Do you ever look around and see all indications of something contrary to what you believe and know to be true? Maybe you see something opposite of what you want, and there is no evidence of what you are praying for? And does it ever occur to you that evil wants you to think God is not listening? That it wants you to think that the winter of your heart will never end? That spring will never come? It occurred to me this very evening…

My grandparents were faced with circumstances that may have led them to feel like this many times. They felt God calling them to take the good news of Jesus to Africa. But they had many “snowy spring days” to get through before they would arrive and begin ministering. First of all, the church synod they were associated with – Lutheran Brethren – didn’t even have an African mission option. My grandparents’ proposal that the church begin a mission in Africa was denied when first suggested; there was no money to start a mission in another country, and the church already had a mission in China. However, the church leaders agreed to pray about it, and a year later they voted to begin a work in Africa and my grandparents were the first to go.

Their “spring snows” continued, however, as they waited for passage on a ship, and then waited a few years after arriving in Africa, for the Cameroon government to give them permission to begin mission work in that country. And this was all after God called them…after He said yes to their asking, “Is this what you would like us to do?” My grandparents’ lives showed that they trusted God. They were far from perfect, but they stayed the course and waited, prayed, and trusted.

What is faith, if not believing in the unseen? Can’t anyone believe spring will come when it’s sunny and 60 degrees outside? It is a snowy, mid-April evening like this when faith is tested, when faith must be exercised, and when truth must be clung to.

Shortly after I stepped away from the bedroom window I heard a slight noise in that direction and turned to see a robin on my window sill. It perched there a minute and then flew off. In another minute it was back. This time I noticed it had something in its beak and after it flew off again I moved closer and saw the early beginnings of a nest on my sill. The robin was disregarding the snowflakes filling the sky and was building a nest as if spring was imminent. He was not going to be derailed by a long winter...by late snows. He acted like he didn’t even notice. And I took a lesson from him.

I don’t know when spring is coming this year, but I do know it will come. And I don’t know when certain things I’m trusting God for will take shape, but I do believe they will. And by God’s grace I am going to keep trusting, keep building, and will hardly notice the late snows. Spring is imminent.

“And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.” Hebrews 11:6 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment