Sunday, May 1, 2011

Regarding closed doors...

How significant is an open or closed door to a follower of Christ? I’ve heard many stories about how God opens and closes doors for people. And I recall one personal experience, in particular... I had a door of opportunity literally slam shut in my face about eight years ago. I was unemployed and living alone with no other income to rely on when I received a job offer from an organization which had put me through several grueling interviews. I was delighted to finally, and successfully, have the offer. Or did I?

Unfortunately, the offered salary was quite a bit lower than I was expecting, so I respectfully asked for an increase. I asked for a salary more in line with the regional market value for that role – a reasonable request, it seemed. Well, for some reason they must not have liked the fact that I thought my work was worth market value, and before I knew it the offer was rescinded. I was crushed by the evaporation of an opportunity, and could not understand why it had happened.

A few years later I shared my story, in confidence, over a business lunch with a man who had previously worked for that organization. He said, “Ann, God saved you…” Though our conversation had not touched on anything spiritual, he immediately and sincerely gave credit to God for keeping me from accepting that position. I knew then, without a doubt, that God had protected me, and shut that door with good reason. (Which I had trusted, at the time, but it was still difficult...)

Today as I was reading through some of Grandpa’s brief, handwritten notes, as typed by my Dad, I couldn’t help but note the number of open and closed doors. Take a look, below-- (My notes are in parenthesis.)

My interest was drawn toward China and I planned to attend the missionary school at Framnes (Norway), but for lack of funds, that schooling had to be postponed for two years. (closed door) While waiting for the opening of that mission school I came to America for the purpose of learning English. (open door) I made arrangements that I would go back to Norway if the number of applicants for entering this mission school were too few. Otherwise, I would continue my studies in America. It turned out there were more applications than the school could accept. (closed door) And so I continued my studies for two years at Augsburg… (open door)

Later, the greatest struggle came when we had to choose between going to China, where the way was open, or to continue to trust the Lord to open the way for us to Africa – which seemed closed.

So, first Grandpa’s interest was drawn to China while he was still in Norway. However, the education path which would lead there was not open, so he went to America to learn English – to study and wait. The school in Norway remained closed for him, but later when the door to China was wide open through the church synod in America, he and Grandma decided to trust the Lord to open the door which was then closed – the door to Africa. How about that for a sequence of open and closed doors?

It appears, from Grandpa’s notes and history, that a closed door was sometimes, but not always, a “no” from God. Do we agree? If the Lord puts a place, a people, an occupation, etc. in our hearts, and it settles in, and remains there...do we trust Him to open a door which might currently be closed? Or do we see a different door, which is open, and think, “That must be the door I’m supposed to go through, because, look - it’s open!”

Following Christ may lead us to stand for a length of time in front of a closed door. And, at the same time we may also need to resist an open, even honorable, alternate door. Is it just me who wonders: “Who trusts like this in 2011?” I definitely want to be one who trusts like this... I want to be one who trusts that when God speaks to my heart about something, I'm willing to wait by a closed door, and not abandoned it for another, albeit open and admirable, door.

No comments:

Post a Comment