Sunday, May 22, 2011

Going for no

Do you welcome rejection? Silly question, right? I mean, who does? Who would? Well, I’m not there yet, but I am working to become more comfortable with rejection, and yes, even to welcome it. I’m trying to go so far as to desire it. Let me explain…

Recently I read a book titled Go for No, by Richard Fenton and Andrea Waltz. It’s basically a book on selling, but clearly has implications for many. I was intrigued by the premise of it: that “the most empowering word in the world is not yes…it’s no.”

It’s a story of a salesman who turns around his career by seeking a target number of rejections, rather than a target number of sales. In the story, he comes to realize that failure is his pathway to success, and that, by becoming not only tolerant of failure, but desirous of it – his success track is actually accelerated, and greatly accomplished.

While I found it a quick, entertaining read, I wasn’t sure if/how the concept fit into my life. And, of course, I considered: Is there truth in this concept? For God is the author of all truth. Or is the concept simply one man’s fabrication to sell a book?

Here’s what I’ve been finding related to this in my life.
1) If I come upon a roadblock – however large or small – I tend to both accept it, and get frustrated and discouraged. One small illustration:
Last Sunday I was to share my story (Africa trip, writing about my grandparents, etc.) with an adult fellowship class at Bethesda church. I will spare you all the details, but…I had major technological difficulties as I was setting up my PowerPoint picture presentation. There were four separate times as I tried to connect when I encountered failure of some sort.

By the third time, after two runs down a very long hallway to get help, I was wondering if I should give up and go without pictures. By the fourth failure, I was almost certain this was what I would need to do – and maybe this is even what God wants? I was definitely frustrated and discouraged. But last Sunday, something prevented me from accepting a final “no.”

2) Temporary rejection or failure doesn’t necessarily mean I am to accept that as a “no” from God.
So I was praying as I struggled, of course, and no doubt a few attendees who were observing my struggles were praying, too. And I remembered the prayers of a few friends the evening before, as we dedicated my morning presentation to God, and prayed that all would go smoothly for His glory. These prayers did not let me give up.

Well, the solution following the fourth snag brought victory; it brought the “yes,” and I was good to go – to deliver what God had laid on my heart – with pictures! And looking back one week later, I’m amazed that I persevered through four picture-stopping snags. That’s not necessarily my style…

3) It’s time to become comfortable with rejection, as a mature step in faith.
So today I’m wondering… How often do I see a present rejection or failure as the final decree on an idea or a hope for the future? And, do I have the tenacity to welcome a present “no” as a step toward a future “yes” about something God has laid on my heart? Or do I most often accept a “no” as final, when He may want me to have faith to keep on for the “yes”?

I’m in the process, by God’s grace, of reframing my thinking. I’m seeking to welcome the victory in each “no” as a step in the process toward a future “yes.” When we pray that God will guide us, He will. So when we pray for a seemingly God-guided desire for “yes,” are we willing to persevere through a “no” or two or ten - to get to the ultimate yes? God may say “no,” of course, but let’s not jump to that final conclusion too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment