Sunday, February 12, 2012

Time for fun...

Recently, after struggling to write about some of my core beliefs - a task which I found both exhausting and clarifying - and also after taking some uncomfortable, yet courageous steps in a particular area of my life, I sensed the Lord whisper to me: “Now it’s time for fun.”

Being the analytical person I am, I thought, “But wait, is fun ever a worthy goal? I mean look at you, Lord Jesus – the one I’m following – your fun was dying on a cross? Do you really mean it's time for fun? It sounds so appealing...so desirable...but could it possibly be your voice I'm hearing? Fun is supposed to be what the weak long for - what the undisciplined accomplish, right?" And then I considered something…

When it seems I’m having the most fun is when I’m living with purpose. Whether I’m laughing-until-I-cry with family or friends, or if I'm praying with a friend while tears of sorrow are streaming down both of our faces - either could be defined as fun if fun's definition includes living a relational life of purpose.

And who in this world has ever had more relational purpose than Jesus? His death was incredibly painful – I can’t even imagine. But if having purpose brings fun, then has anyone ever had more fun than Jesus Christ?

So I’ve accepted the words from my Lord. I’m looking forward to a year of fun as I live out my purpose by His grace and through His strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment