Saturday, January 8, 2011

God has reasons

This will be a different sort of post for me, but then I’ve had an interesting start to 2011. I can honestly say that I’ve been sick all year. It started as a sore throat which got super nasty fast. Then some infection settled in, adding to the misery, and by mid week it had also taken away my voice. While I’ve been said to be somewhat soft spoken, there’s almost nothing I love more than a great conversation, so it’s been frustrating to not even be able to answer the phone these past few days. I had to hand the doctor two pages of notes with my ailment woes because I couldn’t say a word. (He asked to keep the notes, so I must have done a good job.) Thankfully, the meds are kicking in and I heard a little sound emerge when I formed words with my mouth today. And it’s definitely not too soon to be getting healthy, because this is the month I leave for Africa...

During this sickness I’ve had lots of time to think and read. And I’ve been literally mesmerized by parts of Exodus 13 and 14 – reading them over and over. Perhaps I noticed this because of how miserable I was feeling, but take note I did - to three things. Two for today, and both pertain to what could have been perceived as frustrating or worse to the Israelites, followed by what God’s reasoning actually was.

First, God led the Israelites out of their captivity in Egypt by an indirect route. It says he “led them in a roundabout way through the wilderness…” Now if I’m an Israelite I’m thinking “Why all this winding around? Don’t you know where you’re taking us, God? Can’t we just take the civilized, main road to our destination?” God’s reason: He said that on the main road they might be faced with a battle and “they might change their minds and return to Egypt.” (Ex. 13:17 NLT) He knows us doesn’t he? He sometimes needs to take us in a roundabout way or we may turn around and march right back into captivity. His bewildering leading may be keeping us from giving up our freedom...from being the fools we can be prone to be.

Second, the dreaded, horrible thing happened to the Israelites: Pharaoh changed his mind and came after them. And God actually admits to hardening Pharaoh’s heart so he would do this! So what redeeming reason does God have for virtually encouraging their worst enemy to come storming after them? He said, “I have planned this in order to display my glory through Pharaoh and his whole army. After this the Egyptians will know that I am the Lord!” (Ex. 14:4 NIV)

Now as an Israelite, I’d be furious with anyone but God over this. Well, maybe I’d be furious with God too. I mean He is actually causing my enemy to chase me. Why? So that He can receive glory and be known as the Lord. Well, I’m all for His glory, but meanwhile I’m chased by my enemy and my life is in danger! Can’t there be another way for you to get glory, God? Well of course. But were the Israelites harmed? No, they were saved. And how did God get the glory? By demolishing their fiercest enemy.

Does God get to be God and write the story however He wants? Yes, and He always has reasons.

Next post: The third thing I noted in Exodus this week, and it directly ties into thoughts about the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment