Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy new year

I recently read that there are three forms of happiness. This, at least according to research by a Dr. Martin Seligman… (From “A Whole New Mind” by Daniel Pink, Penguin Books, 2006.) It seems quite true to me, so I want to share the basics here, as we start a new year. And it ties into my third reason for writing this blog. (Which is to tell my grandparents’ stories from their lives as pioneer missionaries in Cameroon, Africa, so that in hearing these stories of faith, our own faith in God will grow…)

First of all there’s what Seligman calls the “pleasant life” which contains elements of things like “engaging in satisfying work, avoiding negative events and emotions, being married, and having a rich social network.” Then there’s a higher level of happiness, called the “good life,” which is when one is using their “signature strengths.” Essentially, when work is a calling, and is “done for its own sake rather than for the material benefits it brings.”

But the highest form of happiness, according to Seligman, is “knowing what your highest strengths are and deploying them in the service of something larger than you are.” That’s what my grandparents did, I believe. My Grandpa was a great pioneer missionary because he was using his strengths for a purpose larger than himself. My Grandma was called to partner with him and enrich his life. She had amazing strength for this. (Read the post “Falling off horses” if you doubt it.) She loved pretty things, afternoon tea and making beautiful Norwegian tablecloths. She also loved my Grandpa, my Dad, and clearly loved the African people enough to give her life so that they could have a chance to hear about freedom from sin through Jesus Christ.

What form of happiness do I want? I’ve had the pleasant life and currently am blessed with the good life. Yet, it’s time to go for it all. At least as I figure out what that means for me... I want to be part of something larger than myself with my remaining days or years on earth. Possibilities swirl in my mind often, as I consider what God may be calling me to – service that is much larger than myself. I will not give up because I’ve not landed on it yet. With the start of a new year comes continued opportunity to work and pray and seek God’s guidance. After all, aren’t we all called to be part of something larger than ourselves? We are never too young and never too old to pursue this deployment.

So, what about you? What do you want for 2011? God will help you answer this if you ask Him. He’s not out to keep us from deeper happiness, but to bless us with it – at least as Seligman defines happiness, which is clearly different from the way much of the world defines it.

No comments:

Post a Comment