Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The story continues...

If you had told me a year ago that I’d be leaving for Africa tomorrow I would have laughed at you and said, “Where did you get that silly idea?” Yet I’m leaving for Africa tomorrow. In my field of work – organizational development – we participate in a lot of change management efforts, leading them at times. There’s a normal curve associated with change which people travel along at different rates – and, depending on when the change initiates for them...find themselves at various heights on the acceptance “mountain.” I feel like I’ve been on an accelerated change curve this year, and it's becoming rather comfortable.

First, and late in 2009, I read Don Miller’s book A Million Miles in a Thousand Years which got me thinking about my life as a story. So I asked God if I was writing a story He could use…and, if there was anything different I should explore to improve my story. Not long after, Africa came to the forefront of my mind in several ways, which I’ve blogged about in earlier posts. And, all through 2010, I kept running into the question: What do you want? I’ve encountered this question in so many places and ways that the question is beginning to feel like a dear, comfortable friend. (I smile and nod whenever it approaches me these days.)

In talking with God about it, I’ve learned He does want to know what I want. (And when I think about it, I can see why He doesn’t want an almost non-thinking person waiting to be used for His glory. After all, a relationship requires active participation by both parties.)

Well, as it turns out, I want to visit Africa. And I want to write my grandparents’ stories, my own story, and perhaps more... All so that fellow followers of Christ will be encouraged in their walk on this earth, and non-followers of Christ will consider checking this relationship-with-God-thing out...

I’m stepping out of my comfort zone, for sure, with God’s help and blessing, to seek to write a better story with my life. And not so that Annie will be praised, but so that all who encounter even a page of my story will find their heads turned toward our Savior, Jesus Christ, and the new life that is possible with Him.

So many of you are keeping each day of this trip in your prayers... I’m so blessed by you and can't thank you enough! And I’m praying, with certainty, that you will be blessed for your kindness and caring. And, I'm trusting with my whole heart that if God has called me to write, in order to encourage others in the faith, others will be encouraged. That He will do that... And perhaps together our faith will increase. And together we will reflect our loving God more and more. While you work out writing an even better story with your life, and I with mine...

I hope to greet you soon from Africa!
Always,
Annie

1 comment:

  1. Without a doubt, He is using you to encourage others on their own person journeys. I know that He has used your writings to encourage me. Keep on keeping on, Ann. As you said, many are praying for you on this incredible trip.

    Sandy Larsen

    ReplyDelete