Sunday, February 6, 2011

Herborg Revne remembered



Friday, 2/4/11 -- Today I stood at my grandma’s grave and cried. I have absolutely no memories of her, as she died when I was two, yet today I feel like I know her. I’ve been in her Africa, her Cameroon, and her Yagoua.

We left Yagoua around 9 a.m. and arrived in Kaele by 10:30. A group of pastors met us in a car along the road and led us to the church, where about thirty people gathered under shade trees where some chairs had been set up for us. Pastor Dieudonne Djoubairou – the man I met in Wisconsin last Easter Sunday – worked to organize this reception, even though he’s away at school. It was very special. First, the women – in their matching, brightly colored dresses and head scarves – sang for us. It was a song was about the Revnes bringing the gospel to Cameroon. Then they led me to her grave, which was fenced in by wire. A pastor opened the fence for me and I stood over the gravestone, and read:
Mrs. Herborg Revne
May 9, 1884 to Feb. 18, 1960
Romans 8:28

Emotions washed over me and tears flowed. I was standing in Africa at my grandma’s grave. It didn’t seem possible. Yet here I was, finally honoring the woman who died so far away from her son and daughter-in-law and grandchildren. Being the first grandchild to make it over here, I felt the responsibility of these moments also, as I was representing my sisters, too.

The people gathered around me got very quiet and I heard some sympathetic murmurs from the women as they watched me weep and dig tissues out of my bag. Then one of the pastors who was standing close to me, kindly put his hand on my shoulder and led us all in a prayer – in Moundang, the language of Kaele. After that, we took some pictures, I took a final moment at her body’s resting place, and we walked back to the chairs under the trees.

Oh death, where is thy sting? Oh grave, where is thy victory? My Grandma lives because Jesus died and rose again. She humbled herself and accepted the free gift of salvation, from God, her Heavenly Father.

The people thanked me for coming. They said it was a good thing for me to do. I greeted them with some words and a pastor who spoke English translated for me. One of the pastors greeted us with some words – Solveig translated for me. Then they sang more songs for us – one about another pioneer missionary couple, the Kaardals. We prayed, ate a delicious meal, had a tour, and then we left, with many handshakes, smiles, thank yous and goodbyes.

I’m extremely tired tonight. I’m emotionally drained, yet content. Tomorrow we begin our trek back to N’Djamena, then two days later – our first of two flights home. Grandma’s Africa will not be forgotten, however. I told my new family in Kaele that I would keep them in my prayers.

Solveig told me today, “I think you’ll be back sometime.” I don’t know for sure about that. But I do think part of me has been here for a long time…

6 comments:

  1. I am so touched by your words, Ann. I remember when your dad went to Africa in his later years, and how emotional that was for him. And now, here you are visiting the places that were so special to him. I am so proud of you for making this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sandy! It was an honor to make this trip... God protected us, and I will never forget this awesome experience. Thanks for following, and for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie,
    I just read your article in the F&F which directed me to this website. Your grandma was my surrogate grandma when I was growing up, first in Bongor and later in Yagoua. I remember the day we buried your grandma at the station in Djidoma. I was attending school there at the time. It was so sad. I had lost my sister, Martha, 3 months before, and now again, your grandma. Death seemed to have struck too quickly and too frequently. Mrs Revne was a special woman. It was a great privilege for me to be able to take your parents to visit Yagoua and some of the places your dad remembered as a child.
    Thanks for remembering your grandma this way and honoring her with your visit to her gravesite. It means a lot to those of us who are Africans who fondly remember this wonderful woman. May God continue to bless her memory.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim, thank you for your comment. I treasure hearing about my grandma from those who knew her. It was a tremendous blessing to be able to visit my grandparents' earthly home...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your words, remembering my own years in Yagoua, recalling some simple sentences my own father spoke about the precious people whose country we lived in...my heart carries a love for Africa that I hold dear! If I recall correctly, we lived in a brick house built by & lived in by your grandparents - again, more memories! The Revne's paved the way for many others to give, to love and to share the grace of God - He is glorified, He is praised!
    Barb (Markland)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for commenting, Barb. Africa does have a way of "getting in one's blood" doesn't it? And I didn't even live there, like you did! But my brothers and sisters in Christ over there are in my heart and in my prayers. I'm sure you remember them in prayer, also...

    ReplyDelete