Sunday, February 6, 2011

The neem tree

Wednesday, 2/2/11 -- Since arriving in Yagoua last Saturday, I’ve been admiring the beautiful neem trees that are so plentiful here. They are majestic and lovely to look at – I can’t imagine anyone visiting Yagoua without noticing their beauty. They line the road leading up to the mission, their branches spreading over it to make an inviting green tunnel of shade. And they can be found all through Yagoua, where they not only supply natural beauty to this sand-colored community, but provide necessary and soothing relief from the intense Africa sun. Neither are small roles.


This morning, while visiting with Daboy – a man who faithfully worked with, and for, my Grandpa for many years – I learned that Grandpa brought the neem tree to Yagoua. I looked at Solveig and Jonas in disbelief and asked them if this was really true: “Were there no neem trees in Yagoua until my grandpa brought them here from Nigeria?” They nodded and smiled, and confirmed it was true. These trees which I had been admiring and thinking Yagoua special for having, only exist here because Grandpa thought Yagoua needed them. This endearing piece of news to me was more than I could handle. I cried…

My love and admiration for my grandpa and grandma peaked as I realized in a new way how much they cared for the people of Yagoua and wanted them to have a better life on this earth, as well as in the eternity ahead. How many people have been cooled from the scorching sun over the years by these trees? How many have leaned their tired bodies against the wide trunks for a shady break? How many have cooked food over fires from the neem’s branches? This tree is no small contribution. But there is more…

Jonas told me to ask Daboy about the gardens too. These are the well-designed, beautifully-kept gardens throughout the community, which I had been admiring, as well. I had seen women selling beautiful vegetables from them at the side of the road, and have been eating some delicious, safely-prepared produce from them at mealtime. Well, evidently the gardens were brought here by Grandpa and Grandma too.


And as if that wasn’t enough for me to take in and process…so were the brick huts and buildings. No one knew how to make bricks and build with them in Yagoua before Grandpa taught them how. While I did know this fact before, I didn’t comprehend all that it meant. There is a lot of brick in Yagoua today.

Now I see Grandpa and Grandma everywhere I go. I see a shady neem tree in front of a brick hut, with an expansive garden nearby – and I see them. In fact, this greater Yagoua community of about 150,000 people seems to be full of Grandpa and Grandma! Praise God for what He accomplished through them.

If my grandparents – imperfect people – can love and help others like this, how great is our almighty God’s ability to love and help us? Is it not endless?
And, if God used my willing Grandpa and Grandma to spread His love and care, I have no doubt He can use willing you and me, too. No loving accomplishment is too insignificant or too great when God is in it. Find a tree that’s needed and plant it in Jesus’ name!

“It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it… Where once there were thorns, cypress trees will grow…” (Isaiah 55:11&13 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment