Saturday, March 26, 2011

The crazy truth

It was my last night in Cameroon and I was enjoying dinner under the stars, and listening to a lot of conversation in French... At one point late in the meal, our host, whose father worked with my Grandpa, recalled when my father visited Cameroon 20 years ago. This man told me, through his son, who was translating for me into English: “When your dad, Harold, visited, he told my dad as they parted, ‘I will most likely not see you again here, but I’ll see you next time in heaven!'”

Both his dad and mine have now died… In fact, we figured out that recent February night that they died within a year of each other – about seven years ago. And as we sat there, it occurred to us that at this very moment they might be enjoying fellowship together in heaven, just as my dad had said! We smiled and chuckled at this fun realization, and then our host said, “Who’s going to come back and tell us if it’s so?” He had a big smile on his face, as he waited for the translation to reach me. When it did, I smiled too, and there was some laughter around the table and I remember hoping that there was not a measure of disbelief in this comment.

I’ve thought about this more since that evening, and here’s where my thoughts have gone:
1) I hated to say good-bye to my new family in Cameroon; it was especially hard not knowing if I’ll ever see them again. I feel very connected to them, even a little protective of them, and especially regarding their relationship with Christ. Perhaps because my grandparents first brought the Good News to them, there seems to be a burden on my heart that the truth not be lost or diluted all these years later. I don’t know that it is being lost or diluted, but I desperately don’t want it to be.

Therefore, my dad’s good-bye with this man’s dad resonates with me... If I don’t get to see my Cameroon family again on this earth, I trust with all my heart that I will get to see them in heaven. That we will all safely arrive, and have fellowship together, there…

2) Is it really true that my Cameroon host and I don’t know with certainty that our respective dads are in heaven? He is right, after all, there is no one who can come back and tell us. Part of me wants to absolutely prove to the world that trusting in Jesus is the only way to live and die. It is true, I believe, and there should be no doubt about it. I even remember feeling a teeny bit of frustration that this new brother would cast that doubtful comment out into the open, even in fun. I mean, why voice that possibility – even jokingly – if you earnestly believe?

Well, I’m fairly certain my Cameroon friend does believe. Moreover, he’s likely confident enough in his belief to acknowledge unashamedly that eternal life through Jesus requires faith. It does look like foolishness to many. And, it’s the very foolishness that becomes our salvation. Life through Christ involves a heart change that can only happen by the grace of God. If it were any other way – if it required my logical and perfect obedience to a set of laws – I would not be saved from the slavery to sin I was even born with. I would not have the amazing hope that I have.

Yes, I think there is a craziness to what we believe. And couldn’t one say there is a craziness to all things worthwhile? Think of love…sex…human birth, as examples. When you first grasped the truth of these things, wasn’t there a wonder and craziness to them? Is it any surprise, then, that the most beautiful, saving truth that exists, should also have a craziness about it? If it didn’t, wouldn’t it be all the more ordinary, far less beautiful, and – constrained by mortal life?

To those of us who believe and have chosen to place our trust in this belief, we can smile at the craziness. We can even acknowledge this aspect as an expression of joy in, rather than a fear of, offending our Savior. Jesus came back from the dead and told us this is truth. His Spirit lives in us, and verifies it too.

I trust I will see you in heaven, my Cameroon host, if not before!

No comments:

Post a Comment