Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Julie's no-fear week

When my friend Julie shared my “No fear week” blog with her mom and sister, her mom said, “You should write a response about your week, Julie.” So I invited her to be a special guest blog author. Here’s what she sent, regarding her week – the week she and I decided to have freedom from fear.

Ann is a dear friend who challenges me in my faith and walk with the Lord. I actually feel a spiritual high as we talk about the Lord and how we can grow deeper in our relationship with Him. Yes, the past week has been quite a test for both of us. However, Ann and I believe the Lord prepared us for what He knew was coming by engaging us in this challenge – by enlightening our minds with this idea of choosing not to fear for one week. Of course, we both plan on continuing the challenge, but we both also need to take this one day at a time... We struggle with fear and anxiety – not to a level where either of us would consider medication, but to a more common level, a level I hear many people describe when sharing their own struggles.

So, here’s our freedom from fear week challenge: As soon as we feel fearful or are worried about something, we will stop, recite a verse like, "God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind." And then we will pray and apologize to our Heavenly Father for not trusting, and ask Him to help us trust. Finally, we will make a conscious, decisive decision not to fear!

My week started with an early morning call from my mother that my father had "escaped" again. He has Alzheimer's and we have been waiting to move him into a new memory care facility when it opens April 1st. I jumped in the car and took off on the search. Thankfully, he was found a couple of hours later. Then at 11:15 p.m. that same day my mother called me and asked me to come over and help her take care of him. I politely asked my guests to leave the party I was hosting for them, gathered my items for the night and headed over. My mother and I finally landed in bed at 2:00 a.m.


So I started the search for a memory care facility that could take my father right away. God directed me to a niece of a good friend who is a director of nursing for a memory care facility. She not only found a wonderful place for him, she also found nursing care for the nights before he could be admitted. She even took one of those nights herself! My mother has been staying with me most of the time. After 62 years of marriage she’s trying to adjust to living alone.

The Lord has provided at every turn. .. My father was a Gideon, passing out Bibles to students at schools for many years. He also placed many small banks in restaurants for the orphans ministered to by World Vision. As one of my dearest friends says, "The Lord takes good care of His own, especially when they have ministered for Him during their lives."

Along with the trauma in my family, my business has been especially difficult over the past week. I have been a realtor and real estate broker for more than 21 years, and have enjoyed successful years, but have also had challenging times. This past week has been one of those challenging times with various transactions appearing to work out...then evaporating into thin air.

So, during this week I decided it was time let go of the fear associated with my business and to sell my business. I sold it to Jesus Christ. Now I work for Him. He decides who we work with and who we don't. He determines the path of the transactions and the outcome. I felt quite a burden lifted after "selling" Christ the business. After all, He owns it anyway. (By the way, He is a great boss!)

Needless to say, our respective no-fear weeks were not the easiest of weeks... But then, who of us have been promised easy weeks? Knowing we’ve got a God who knows all, and loves perfectly – and commands us not to fear – is certainly a comfort for the troubles we experience in this life. Thanks for sharing your week’s story, Julie! I’m thankful for your friendship and for your encouragement in my walk with the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment